More than 8 available "vmix channels"

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

More than 8 available "vmix channels"

Postby Bruners » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:17 am

Currently several webpages (Opera+Google plus) tend to open 2 or even 3 "vmix channels" for no reason which eats up the already low 8 available channels,
Is there a way to block specific applications or limit the number of available channels an application can use?

For my case Mumble uses 2-3, Wine uses 2, Opera + Chrome may use 2-3 each depending on which pages are open and with music playing there is one more.

Best case scenario is getting more available "vmix channels" but i guess there is a reason for this or it's something I'm doing wrong.
Bruners

Re: More than 8 available "vmix channels"

Postby cesium » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:18 pm

I don't know of a way to limit application's use of vmix channels. It is possible to raise vmix channel limit though - it used to be possible with a osscore.conf directive, but now alas you'll need to recompile. Edit kernel/framework/vmix.h and raise MAX_CLIENTS. I suggest not too much at first - the old define was IIRC limited to 18 or so. Note that AFAIK this is untested.
cesium
Developer

Re: More than 8 available "vmix channels"

Postby Bruners » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 pm

thanks, will give it a try at least. At most i'm in need of one or two extra's.
can post the results of my findings and i guess that if it works as intended it would be okay to have it as an optional patch for the exherbo "package" i maintain.
Bruners

Return to Linux